The Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2020 was released on September 11 and IIT Ropar made a surprising entry on the list as the Number 1 among the 56 Indian institutes on the list of the best universities of the world compiled by UK-based Times Higher Education (THE).
IIT Ropar was established only in 2008 and is one of the newest IITs in India. However, it was ranked higher than IIT Bombay and IIT Delhi, and stood shoulder to shoulder with IISc Bengaluru, which has been hogging the top spot since the 2014 World University Rankings.
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Ropar, and the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bengaluru are the best institutes of India and stand at among the top 301-350 universities of the world.
No Indian institute among top 300 in World University Rankings 2020
Last year, there were five Indian universities featured in the top 500 of the World University Rankings. But this year, there are six Indian universities.
However, we need to note that this is for the first time since 2012 that not a single Indian institute featured among the top 300 educational institutes in the world.
After the first 200 ranks, THE rankings put institutes into rank groups rather than individual ranks.
While IISc Bangalore retained its top spot in India, it slipped from the 251-300 ranking section to the 301-350 bracket. However, it did improve in its research environment, teaching environment and industry income.
World University Rankings 2020: Top Indian institutes on the list
- IIT Ropar and IISc Bangalore share the first rank among top Indian institutes
- IIT Indore is the second best Indian institute in the world and stands in the same bracket as IISc Bangalore and IIT Ropar
- IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi and IIT Kharagpur are in the third spot; they are in the top 401-500 universities bracket
- Among the top 601-800 universities of the world stand Jamia Millia Islamia, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Panjab University, Savitribai Phule Pune University and Thapar University.
- Siksha ‘O’ Anusandhan and KIIT University from Odisha also made it to the World University Rankings 2020.
Two new IITs score rank among top 3 institutes in India
Even though IIT Ropar and IIT Indore were established only in 2008-09, they ranked higher than their more popular predecessors for the first time ever.
While IIT Ropar ranked first among Indian institutes, IIT Indore secured the second rank.
Both scored high in research citations as well. While IIT Ropar scored 100, IIT Indore scored 77.
IIT Delhi and IIT Kharagpur improved their rankings to join IIT Bombay in the 401-500 ranking bracket.
Which Indian institutes lost out on a position in the World University Rankings 2020?
Last year, Mysore’s Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) Academy of Higher Education and Research had shared the third spot with IIT Bombay and IIT Roorkee but it was absent from the rankings this year.
Which are the top universities of the world?
- As per the World University Rankings 2020, the University of Oxford is the number one university in the world for the fourth time in a row.
- The California Institute of Technology stands at the second place after a rise of three ranks
- The University of Cambridge fell to the third rank this year
- The universities of Stanford, Yale, Harvard and Imperial College London all got a rabnk among the top 10 universities in the world
About the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 includes almost 1,400 universities across 92 countries, standing as the largest and most diverse university rankings ever to date.
The table is based on 13 carefully calibrated performance indicators that measure an institution’s performance across teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
The ranking is audited by professional services firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, and trusted worldwide by students, teachers, governments and industry experts.